Learn More Today
If you are interested in learning more about our new hot forming titanium press or any of our other services, reach out to us below or call us at 888-235-2737.
Cutting Dynamics has been a leading manufacturer of aircraft components for over 30 years. In 2018, we invested in a hot forming titanium press in order to better accommodate the growing demand for titanium aerospace parts, commonly used in jet engines and firewalls.
Hot forming has several key advantages, which include:
- Increased accuracy due to the elimination of springback
- Complex shapes can be more easily formed with tighter radii
- Cracking is inhibited especially when forming titanium
- The process avoids the thinning of the material while forming
The Process of Hot Forming Titanium and Other Alloys
In essence, hot forming is a matched metal tool forming process that relies on time, temperature, and pressure. Generally, this press operates at temperatures of up to 1600 °F. High temperature alloys ideally suited for hot forming include:
Depending on the product being formed, those working directly with the product will determine the proper temperature of the blank, tool, and the pressure required to form the component.
Key Benefits of Hot Forming Titanium Alloys and Other Materials
As we mentioned above, hot forming can be used on several high-temperature alloys, including titanium. The advantages of using hot forming vs. cold forming are varied, but key benefits include durability and reduced lead time, along with the following:
- Accuracy – The use of higher temperatures increases accuracy in the forming and eliminates springback during production.
- Higher surface profile tolerance – Due to its ability to handle higher surface areas, hot forming is an ideal method to use to lessen the probability of cracking.
- Consistency in thickness – Hot forming draws the margin of the sheet inwards smoothly, which is ideal for creating a consistent thickness. When hot forming, you also have the ability to form complex shapes at varied levels of thickness.
Why Is Titanium Used for Hot Forming?
The aerospace industry is a major user of titanium in their products, which is why hot forming titanium alloy is incredibly beneficial to the field. In fact, two-thirds of the amount of titanium produced is used exclusively in aircraft engines and frames. This may be because the metal itself is known for its high strength (30% stronger than steel and 100% stronger than aluminum) and low weight (50% lighter than steel).
With a solid resistance to corrosion and the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal, titanium is a good choice within the industry for jet engines, firewalls, missiles, and other aviation-related products.
Impressive Features of Our Hot Forming Titanium Press
Some of the technological components that are part of our hot forming titanium press designed by Beckwood Press include:
- 30” x 48” heated platens fabricated TMA® 4505 – a high-strength, heat-resistant alloy developed specifically for high-temperature applications. (Each platen contains nine heating zones to ensure temperature uniformity to within +/- 5 °F.
- Door systems that are automatically insulated, which efficiently contains heat within the forming chamber and allows access during part or tool loading and unloading.
- Structure engineered to the Infinite Life classification using finite element analysis (FEA) design software.
Utilize Our Hot Forming Titanium Press Today!
At Cutting Dynamics, we’re always looking for ways to go above and beyond as leaders in the aerospace industry, which is why we chose to purchase a brand-new hot forming titanium press from Beckwood Corporation. The press offers our customers many advantages, such as significantly reduced lead times (12 weeks) and an in-house team that can design and manufacture all the required tools and fixtures. Utilizing our hot forming services for hot forming sheets of titanium and other high-temperature alloys is a guaranteed way to get durable, high-quality results.
We would love the opportunity to take a look at any of your applications today. Simply fill out our online contact form or give us a call at 440-249-4150 for more details and information regarding how you can work with us on current or future projects.
Reach Out to Us for Hot Forming Titanium Alloy Services
Reach out to our team today to learn more about our hot forming titanium press as well as hot forming sheets of various alloys. We look forward to hearing from you to discuss your company’s goals.
To learn more about Cutting Dynamics, the products and services we offer, and the industries we serve, you can visit some of our individual product and services pages: